Department or Employer: Dept of Health and Human Services
Location: Wake County, NC
Project or Group Web Site: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina/jobs/2799703/data-and-reporting-analyst
Position Type: Paid
The Business Systems Analyst II position is in the Business Information & Analytics Office within Division of Health Benefits performing the duties of data integration, reporting and analysis of Medicaid data with a focus on special analytical projects in support of the DHHS Division of Medicaid objectives and operations. The position analyzes and translates the business requirements into data requirements, collects and performs data linkages between disparate data sources, develop code to produce required result-sets, quality measures and optimize data efficiency and quality. It also requires collaboration with multiple business partners, vendors and agency management to understand the data requirements, provide status updates during standing meetings, perform file submissions and handle data related questions and issues.
Job Specific Responsibilities
• Collect data from multiple data sources and perform data integration, data matching/linkages
• Design, build extracts and query complex data sets from data warehouse
• Develop extracts, reports and analysis using complex data and information from data warehouses, Medicaid claims processing system (MMIS), NC accounting systems and other division data sources
• Use various Business Intelligence tools and programming languages such as SAS, R, Cognos, Tableau, Advanced Excel to build reports, data analysis to produce data insights
• Troubleshoot code issues and fix them in a timely manner
• Perform data quality checks to ensure data accuracy in reports and extracts
• Closely monitor policies and system updates to identify impacts to the reports and data analysis.
• Prepare technical documentation and narratives to support the logic and methodologies used in the data analysis
• Provide consultative support to staff on available division data sources, reporting and analytic capabilities and methods
• Work with division staff to understand data requests and needs to establish requirements for reports and analysis
• Draw conclusions based on data analysis and communicate findings both in person and in writing
• Collaborate with Information Technology and Vendor staff to report and follow-up on any technical issues related to data loads and data issues in the warehouse
• Prepare and present written/verbal status reports, questions & responses related to data topics to staff and senior management
Salary Grade: GN 14; Position #: 65031202
Salaries are based on education, experience, equity, and budget
NC Medicaid (Division of Health Benefits) is dedicated to providing access to physical and behavioral health care and services to improve the health and well-being of over 2.1 million North Carolinians on behalf of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. NC Medicaid manages the state's Medicaid and NC Health Choice health care programs, pharmacy benefits and behavioral health services.
On Sept. 23, 2015, the North Carolina General Assembly passed Session Law 2015-245, as amended, directing NCDHHS and DHB to lead the transformation of the Medicaid and NC Health Choice programs from a predominantly fee-for-service delivery system to managed care.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit. Qualified applicants must document on the application that they possess all of the following:
• Solid analytical skills including data analysis, modeling, data mining, data integration and reporting
• Strong experience in collecting data from disparate data sources and perform data matching/data linkages using a variety of approaches and tools
• Proven experience with one or more standard database, statistical and business intelligence tools: SAS, R, SQL Developer or TOAD, Oracle, Cognos, Tableau.
• Knowledge of database models – normalized, de-normalized, fact and dimension model
• Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgement abilities; ability to effectively diagnose, isolate, and resolve complex problems pertaining to data and its infrastructure; comfortable with ambiguity and adept at problem solving.
• Prepare well organized and thorough documentation that allow business partners to understand the steps and logic used in data analysis process
• Experience with managing client data requests, issues and problem areas; ability to fully understand and address them.
• Ability to identify stakeholders and manage communications to achieve consensus and collaboration. Ability to recognize and fully understand the limitations of business information systems in relation to business process.
• Ability to make recommendations on issues that affect the direction of business systems and business; ability to develop, monitor, and communicate changes to project scope, project plans, timelines, status, issues, and risks for complex project
• Ability to resolve more complex problems working with senior management; ability to identify and address causes.
• Candidates with Bachelor’s in Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Management Information Systems (MIS), and Engineering or other quantitative discipline or equivalent professional experience.
• Knowledge of Big Data tools, NoSQL database Cloud platforms
• Experience in SAS programming languages and reporting using Cognos and Tableau.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor s degree from appropriately accredited institution in a discipline related to the area of assignment with three years of programmatic experience related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Degrees must be from appropriately accredited colleges or universities
Supplemental and Contact Information
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pre-Employment criminal background checks are required for all positions with the Division of Health Benefits.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. You will either receive a call to schedule an interview or an email notifying you when the job has been filled.
For technical issues with your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627. Applicants will be communicated with via email only for updates on the status of their application. If there are any questions about this posting other than your application status, please contact HR at 919-855-4120.
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2020