Department or Employer: Duke Homecare & Hospice
Location: Durham, NC
Position Type: Paid
Duke Homecare & Hospice offers hospice, home health and infusion services. Hospice care is offered to terminally ill patients in their home, skilled-nursing facilities, assisted-living facilities, and at our two inpatient facilities located in Hillsborough and Durham, North Carolina.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
The Clinical Informatics System Specialist (CISS) has expert knowledge of the primary electronic medical record (EMR) system as well as significant knowledge of one or more clinical disciplines and auxiliary software applications in use. The CISS serves as project manager for all field staff and incorporates the organization’s strategic objectives into analyzing and recommending technical solutions.
- Delivers orientation training for new hires across three service lines and more than seven disciplines. Demonstrates skill as a presenter to communicate new information to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrates understanding of processes for each service line and discipline.
- Demonstrates technical skill in resolving EMR and laptop issues in classroom without outside support greater than 90% of the time.
- Shows willingness to be flexible to accommodate variable schedules and adjust training accordingly.
Primary Responsibilities of the Job Class:
- Designs training programs based on organizational needs and feedback from clinical managers and staff. Works closely with program leadership and orientation team to develop training schedules and uses principles of adult learning and produce materials to support lectures and self-paced learning formats.
- Develops tip sheets for new and existing staff to support use of the EMR.
- Evaluate options and develop skills to produce high quality recorded trainings.
TECHNICAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Serve as project manager for all new releases or rollout of new areas of functionality within EMR. Develop test plans for new functionality for primary EMR. Perform and/or coordinate testing of all areas of application. Coordinate organization-wide plans for rollout of new functions, including creating training materials and delivering training.
- Communicate issues uncovered during test or ongoing use of EMR to vendor. Track issues and communicate status and workarounds to key stakeholders.
- Project manager for Netsmart-Enclara integration project. Develops requirements documentation, designs test plans, coordinates with multiple vendors and internal stakeholders to ensure technical and training needs are fulfilled.
- Communicate via SBAR technical concerns relating to use of the EMR, Omnicell device and other third party vendors as needed. Present to senior leadership and other DUHS stakeholders (e.g. Nursing and Ancillary).
- Project manager for Omnicell project to attain compliance with CR 8358, increase patient safety and reduce clinician burden. Act as a bridge to Duke Health Technology Services and outside vendors to translate clinical needs to technical requirements. Propose and analyze technical solutions and provide information on project timeline and cost.
- Consults with DHCH IT support related to hardware needs, field staff needs and applications to support EMR use.
- Assist program directors is assessing EMR performance needs and provide feedback to senior leadership and EMR vendor as required.
- Provide consultation and technical training to department personnel; assess user needs related to EMR functionality and provide 1:1 or group trainings as needed.
- Develop and maintain intra- and interprofessional relationships with other DUHS information technology operations and professional organizations to ensure utilization of current principles and techniques.
- Conduct necessary assessments and analysis to monitor EMR functionality, training outcomes and user feedback, and provide reliable and valid data to support results.
- Consults with EMR vendor to address organization-specific needs, new module implementation and EMR barriers experiences by organization’s EMR users.
- Facilitates EMR Core Committee to present EMR status on EMR user issues, provide feedback and obtain input to maximizing use of EMR. Identifies and supports organization’s super-users to facilitate on-going EMR user training and support needs.
- Works with DUHS IT Service desk to assist in managing clinical application incidents, requests and concerns.
PROGRAM PROCESS SUPPORT
- Identifies need for process improvement and recommends solutions to program management.
- Consults with program leadership to gain understanding of workflows impacted by EMR utilization.
- Analyze existing software to ensure organization is fully utilizing existing capabilities.
- Anticipate and respond to organizational needs that may be met by existing or new technical solutions.
- Conduct field assessments with users to assess appropriate and efficient utilization of EMR.
OVERALL SKILLS AND PERFORMANCE ALIGNED WITH DUHS/DHCH VALUES
- Promotes system security and patient confidentiality in accordance with DHCH HIPAA and Compliance policies.
- Demonstrates on-going support for the DHCH mission: “Duke HomeCare & Hospice will provide innovative, thoughtful care, using an interdisciplinary team approach, to achieve the best possible outcomes for the patients, families and communities we serve.”
- Demonstrates behaviors in accordance with DHCH values, patient and staff safety and quality performance.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of computer systems, clinical and business processes
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced healthcare environment
- Skilled presenter
- Ability to effectively support applications
- Highly-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently with quantifiable and quantitative results
- Ability to conduct analyses, document finding, develop plans, execute and monitor outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to work with colleagues in a team based environment with individual shared deliverables
- A detailed understanding of workflows and requirements for efficient use of the EMR
- Well-developed organization skills and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities
- Ability to learn quickly and apply knowledge across different contexts
- Driven to improve care using process design and technology
- Resilient and flexible approach to work
Bachelor’s degree in a clinical field required. Degree in nursing (RN), physical therapy, speech pathology or occupational therapy strongly preferred.
Minimum of 2 years Home Care experience with a minimum of 1 year experience related to performance improvement, quality assurance or regulatory affairs.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Appropriate certification/licensure as required by clinical field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Working knowledge of Home Health and Hospice Medicare and Medicaid Conditions of Participation, Joint Commission Standards and ICD-10 Coding preferred.
Maintains confidentiality of employee and patient information. Promotes quality, comprehensive services through a team approach. Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2020